24 with ‘24: Laila Hailey
24 with '24
24 with ‘24: Laila Hailey
Zack Dabrowski, Staff Reporter • April 30, 2024

24 with ’24 is a Chronicle series where we ask 24 questions to a member of the class of ’24. Between now and June, we’ll shine a spotlight...

Mystery Revealed: Techs Valedictorian
School News
Mystery Revealed: Tech's Valedictorian
Lydia Blackwell, Staff Reporter • April 26, 2024

With fewer than 50 days to graduation, everyone’s wondering who Arlington Tech’s valedictorian is, the person with the highest grade point...

The Artificial God
Creative Writing
The Artificial God
Hetty Fontaine, Guest Reporter • April 26, 2024

You have created a god Summoned by a ritual of your own design With bones of ancients And oils cracked It rises It shall remain...

24 with ‘24: Tadashi Dodge
24 with '24
24 with ‘24: Tadashi Dodge
Lydia Blackwell, Staff Reporter • April 24, 2024

The Equity Team
DEI at ACC
The Equity Team
Isabella Chavez, Guest Reporter • April 24, 2024

At Arlington Career Center, teachers and students are able to work with one another to create numerous clubs and programs in order to diversify...

CTE Spotlight: Carpentry

• Carrie shows off a variety of Carpentry products on CTE night.

• Diego adjusts the router.

• Mr. Godfrey measures parts for his trestle table.

• Issac cuts circles on the bandsaw.

• Carrie shows off her dovetailed toolbox

What sounds do you imagine when you think of carpentry? The rasp of saws? The pounding of hammers? If this was the 1950s, you’d be right. But Carpentry II at ACC is not your grandfather’s woodshop class. In our high-tech classroom, you’ll hear the whirring of electric saws and the industrial rumble of the dust collection system. But despite all its state-of-the-art tools and machinery, as a new class that’s only been available starting this year, Carpentry II has an enrollment problem. This year’s class has only six students. The good news is that we can interview all of them!

Enter Carrie Tiroff, an enthusiastic Arlington Tech senior with a passion for high level joinery. She’s making a toolbox using the finger joint method, a complicated process involving many interlocking parts. She says that “Carpentry means being able to make something out of nothing, to experiment and to learn new, better ways of building.” She’s been accepted in the Residential Construction Management program at Penn Tech, but is still thinking about trade school.

There are also two Arlington Tech juniors: Akshay Kuchibhatla, a programmer who loves to saw, and Issac, a hater of dad jokes. Akshay says “Carpentry is an art that so few appreciate,” and Issac compares it to therapy, because of how calming it is. They are the only Arlington Tech students who will be able to take Carpentry III if it is offered next year.

There are also a couple of Yorktown students who make the bus ride over to the Career Center every day just for this class. Charlie Whitmore, a thorough senior who prefers independent projects over assignments from the project book, jokes that “Carpentry rocks, I mean, it woods.” Diego Gonzales, a junior with a killer handshake who hopes to build “the next Noah’s Ark,” says he likes Carpentry II because he likes doing big projects.

This class, which has brought together a group of students from different schools and different grades who would otherwise never have known each other, would not be possible without its instructor. Mr. Godfrey, an ex-middle school teacher from Pennsylvania who is a father of two and passionate about his craft, says that Carpentry is a class that can be useful to anyone, regardless of their career plans. “You don’t have to leave this class and become a carpenter,” he says, “but most people live in a house when they grow up, and in a house things break, and if you have just a little bit of proficiency with power tools, you can fix almost anything.” That’s what Carpentry, with all its state-of-the-art machines is for: so that a passionate few can become professional carpenters, and the rest can leave with enough knowledge and confidence to reattach a door when the hinges break instead of having to hire someone else.

About the Contributor
Lydia Blackwell
Lydia Blackwell, Staff Reporter
Lydia is a sports reporter for the Chronicle and a senior at Arlington Tech. In her spare time, she enjoys reading and writing short stories. You can usually finding her walking in the woods or talking about thought experiments.