Oratorical Contest 2024
School News
Oratorical Contest 2024
Kate Runion, Staff Reporter • May 2, 2024

On April 9, 15 Tech students participated in the 2024 Oratorical Contest, sponsored by the Optimist Club of Arlington. The contestants wrote...

24 with ‘24: Kaleb Daniel
24 with '24
24 with ‘24: Kaleb Daniel
Lydia Blackwell, Staff Reporter • May 2, 2024

24 with ’24 is a Chronicle series where we ask 24 questions to a member of the class of ’24. Between now and June, we’ll...

24 with ‘24: Laila Hailey
24 with '24
24 with ‘24: Laila Hailey
Zack Dabrowski, Staff Reporter • April 30, 2024

24 with ’24 is a Chronicle series where we ask 24 questions to a member of the class of ’24. Between now and June, we’ll shine a spotlight...

Mystery Revealed: Techs Valedictorian
School News
Mystery Revealed: Tech's Valedictorian
Lydia Blackwell, Staff Reporter • April 26, 2024

With fewer than 50 days to graduation, everyone’s wondering who Arlington Tech’s valedictorian is, the person with the highest grade point...

The Artificial God
Creative Writing
The Artificial God
Hetty Fontaine, Guest Reporter • April 26, 2024

You have created a god Summoned by a ritual of your own design With bones of ancients And oils cracked It rises It shall remain...

Koibots Get Loud at District Championships

On Thursday, April 4, at 6 am, thirty-one ACC students and two adults boarded a bus to Petersburg, Virginia, for Chesapeake District Playoffs. They were the Koibots, preparing for district championships A few students had driven down beforehand to set up and a few students were driving down later, so in the end, there were forty students cheering, driving, and working on the robot.

Qualification matches lasted the second half of Thursday, all throughout Friday, and Saturday morning. The KoiBots arrived around 8:30 for opening matches and setting up in the pits, our space for the robot to hang out when we weren’t competing. Our first qualification was just after lunch, so the whole team was ready to cheer as loud as possible for our robot, Anglerfish.

In the two qualifications before our match, robots were moving slower, but the matches still went on. However, at the beginning of the third match, staff and volunteers were speaking about this issue. As it turned out, drivers could not operate the robot due to connectivity issues. This delay lasted about an hour until staff could get the robots back online, but our match still had issues. Luckily, there was a shorter delay this time, and matches proceeded. Our match, along with the two before ours, were redone the next day after lunch.

Throughout the rest of Thursday, the KoiBots remained loud and proud, despite not doing that well during matches. That night, students went to a mixer, which included dinner and the opportunity to socialize with other teams. While most students were tired and headed back to the hotel early, a few stayed back for the dance, which was the second part of the mixer. 

The next day was full of qualification matches, and the KoiBots continued to cheer loudly. Luckily, there were no significant delays this time, and we were able to redo our match from the previous day, performing much better. However, we did not do as well in our other matches. We maintained our spirit, though, and the team decompressed that night at team dinner in a Mexican restaurant.

Saturday morning finished off the qualification matches. We only had two, and unfortunately we did not do the best. However, we still shouted and cheered at the top of our lungs for our team. When qualification matches ended, we placed fairly low. However, we are looking closely over what made things go wrong and how we can fix things next year.

Saturday afternoon consisted of playoffs, which were incredibly exciting, as these were the best teams in the district racing across the field and back to score points. During one of the matches, a robot swerved so quickly that it fell onto its side. The excitement in the stands made the experience all the more fun, even if our team wasn’t playing.

Awards were presented between playoff matches. Our team’s cheering paid off, as we won the Spirit Award and took a group picture. We finished off the weekend tired but happy, looking forward to improving our team so we can score even more points next year.

About the Contributor
Clara Golner
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter
Clara is currently a junior at Arlington Tech and enjoys writing all sorts of things— short stories, longer stories, or articles for the newspaper— as well as reading, playing video games, exercising, or drawing (not very well, but nobody has to know that).