PBL Freshman Cornerstone Town Hall
Uncategorized
PBL Freshman Cornerstone Town Hall
Amna Abdelbagi, Staff Reporter • May 24, 2024

It's finally that time of the year, the Cornerstone Town Hall that everyone has been waiting for! After all the ninth graders' hard work, students...

Bites on the Pike: Lost Dog Café
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Lost Dog Café
Clara Golner and Ilana HofferMay 24, 2024

Within the first moments of walking inside, the smell of tasty Italian food fills your nose. You look around at the art on the walls, listen...

Bites on the Pike: Ididos Coffee
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Idido's Coffee
Amna Abdelbagi, Staff Reporter • May 20, 2024

Only five minutes away from ACC, Idido’s Coffee should definitely be on your next “to-go” list! Idido’s Coffee is a cafe designed for...

Bites on the Pike: Ryu Izakaya
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Ryu Izakaya
Clara Golner and Ilana HofferMay 20, 2024

Ryu Izakaya is a small restaurant camouflaged among the many on Columbia Pike, but it is truly a hidden gem. When you walk inside, you are immediately...

Street Advocate Club
Clubs & Extras
Street Advocate Club
Cody Finnegan, Clara Golner, and Bella WeslowMay 20, 2024

One of ACC’s newer clubs is the Street Advocates Student Coalition (SASC), started by junior Cody Finnegan. The SASC’s mission is “to bring...

Koibots Get Loud at District Championships

On Thursday, April 4, at 6 am, thirty-one ACC students and two adults boarded a bus to Petersburg, Virginia, for Chesapeake District Playoffs. They were the Koibots, preparing for district championships A few students had driven down beforehand to set up and a few students were driving down later, so in the end, there were forty students cheering, driving, and working on the robot.

Qualification matches lasted the second half of Thursday, all throughout Friday, and Saturday morning. The KoiBots arrived around 8:30 for opening matches and setting up in the pits, our space for the robot to hang out when we weren’t competing. Our first qualification was just after lunch, so the whole team was ready to cheer as loud as possible for our robot, Anglerfish.

In the two qualifications before our match, robots were moving slower, but the matches still went on. However, at the beginning of the third match, staff and volunteers were speaking about this issue. As it turned out, drivers could not operate the robot due to connectivity issues. This delay lasted about an hour until staff could get the robots back online, but our match still had issues. Luckily, there was a shorter delay this time, and matches proceeded. Our match, along with the two before ours, were redone the next day after lunch.

Throughout the rest of Thursday, the KoiBots remained loud and proud, despite not doing that well during matches. That night, students went to a mixer, which included dinner and the opportunity to socialize with other teams. While most students were tired and headed back to the hotel early, a few stayed back for the dance, which was the second part of the mixer. 

The next day was full of qualification matches, and the KoiBots continued to cheer loudly. Luckily, there were no significant delays this time, and we were able to redo our match from the previous day, performing much better. However, we did not do as well in our other matches. We maintained our spirit, though, and the team decompressed that night at team dinner in a Mexican restaurant.

Saturday morning finished off the qualification matches. We only had two, and unfortunately we did not do the best. However, we still shouted and cheered at the top of our lungs for our team. When qualification matches ended, we placed fairly low. However, we are looking closely over what made things go wrong and how we can fix things next year.

Saturday afternoon consisted of playoffs, which were incredibly exciting, as these were the best teams in the district racing across the field and back to score points. During one of the matches, a robot swerved so quickly that it fell onto its side. The excitement in the stands made the experience all the more fun, even if our team wasn’t playing.

Awards were presented between playoff matches. Our team’s cheering paid off, as we won the Spirit Award and took a group picture. We finished off the weekend tired but happy, looking forward to improving our team so we can score even more points next year.

About the Contributor
Clara Golner
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter
Clara is currently a junior at Arlington Tech and enjoys writing all sorts of things— short stories, longer stories, or articles for the newspaper— as well as reading, playing video games, exercising, or drawing (not very well, but nobody has to know that).