Groundbreaking
School News
Groundbreaking
Bella Weslow, Staff Reporter • June 12, 2024

On May 16th, 2024, a monumental event occurred for the students and staff of the Arlington Career Center. At 2 pm, students and teachers left...

Latinas Leading Tomorrow at ACC
Clubs & Extras
Latinas Leading Tomorrow at ACC
Lary Renderos, Guest Reporter • June 12, 2024

Let’s zoom into the bustling hive of activity that is ACC (let's throw some props to our extracurricular buffet: from frisbee to D&D, there's...

Op Ed: A Call for Accelerated Learning in APS
Op Ed
Joseph Sparks, Guest Reporter • June 12, 2024

Dear Arlington Public Schools, As I prepare to begin my education at Princeton University next fall, I often look back and consider the impact...

Op Ed: Let’s Expand Restorative Justice in Virginia
Op Ed
Zack Dabrowski, Staff Reporter • June 12, 2024

Dear Barbara A. Favola, In one month, I will have graduated from high school and be ready for the next stage of my life. When I look back...

Acme Pie Company
Community & Beyond
Acme Pie Company

Acme Pie Co., located barely a block from the school, is one of the only pie shops within Arlington - and it’s also the best. Walking towards...

Teacher Feature: Mr. Zawalo

Mr. Zawolo is one of the higher level math teachers at ACC. He has taught a variety of math classes such as Pre-Calculus, Calculus I, Calculus II, and Vector Calculus/Linear Algebra. Between November of 2021 and Spring of 2024, he was the Superintendent of Education in Liberia. While there, he would have meetings with the President and continue to teach students.  We are very glad that Mr. Zawolo has come back to teach at the Arlington Career Center!

When did you start teaching here?

• I started teaching in 2004.

What do you like most about teaching?

• The students. Math is a subject that most people don’t like, but when you can get students interested in learning math, it’s just amazing.

Was teaching your ideal job? 

• Yes. You know what, always. My dad wouldn’t let me say that I wanted to be a teacher, but that’s what I wanted to do all my life and be like my dad. He was a teacher and in West African culture, the oldest son has a lot of load to carry, being named after your dad. Parents want to see the older son achieving so much in society, so that’s what my dad wanted for me.

What is your favorite math class to teach?

• My favorite math class to teach is Pre-Calculus, because that’s the point where you can get firmly rooted to get familiar with advanced math. If they get it right then advanced math can become very understandable for them. 

If you were to major in a different field, what would you choose?

• Politics. Government. I would love to teach them because I have experience in it already from speaking with the president.

Why did you decide to work at the Arlington Career Center?

• I decided to work because I didn’t choose, but I applied to Arlington Public Schools and I was encouraged to work here. At that time, according to the math supervisor, the students here at Arlington Career Center needed support and they felt that I would be the best person.

What sparked your interest in teaching math?

• My dad. He wanted me to pursue a career in STEM, so at a really early age he began to double math instructions for me. I went to school twice a day, during the morning hours I would be with my peers doing grade-level math and in the evening, my dad worked with me to do above level grade math 5 days a week.

What was it like getting the call about going to Liberia?

• I was conflicted. I was confused. I always wanted to go back home to serve, but I was enjoying what I was doing here because I was teaching three Pre-Calculus classes. The students seemed very engaging and hard working, so I didn’t want to leave them. I spoke with people and they said it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I should take advantage of.

What did you enjoy most while you were in Liberia?

• I enjoyed the weather, the weather was good. I could wear slippers to work. I am diabetic, so I just wore slippers to work because the weather was nice. My toes would have the necessary circulation. The second thing was the opportunity to be at the highest level of power, so I spent a lot of time with the president.

What is one of your hidden talents?

• I am a good athlete, many people don’t know about that. I was team captain of the high school basketball team. I played soccer at a third division level in my country. I also coached soccer here in the U.S.
About the Contributors
Amna Abdelbagi
Amna Abdelbagi, Staff Reporter
Amna Abdelbagi is a freshman at Arlington Tech. This is her first Journalism class and has no background in writing newspapers, but she hopes to enjoy it. Amna has interest in becoming a Staff Reporter. In her free time, Amna enjoys baking, reading, hanging out with her friends, and painting. She is interested in becoming a pediatrician.
Ilana Hoffer
Ilana Hoffer, Staff Reporter
Ilana is a junior at Arlington Tech, interested in expanding her writing by working on articles for the Chronicle. In her free time, Ilana enjoys being outside, playing soccer, spending time with her dog and hanging out with friends. She is interested in becoming a mechanical engineer.