Groundbreaking
School News
Groundbreaking
Bella Weslow, Staff Reporter • June 12, 2024

On May 16th, 2024, a monumental event occurred for the students and staff of the Arlington Career Center. At 2 pm, students and teachers left...

Latinas Leading Tomorrow at ACC
Clubs & Extras
Latinas Leading Tomorrow at ACC
Lary Renderos, Guest Reporter • June 12, 2024

Let’s zoom into the bustling hive of activity that is ACC (let's throw some props to our extracurricular buffet: from frisbee to D&D, there's...

Op Ed: A Call for Accelerated Learning in APS
Op Ed
Joseph Sparks, Guest Reporter • June 12, 2024

Dear Arlington Public Schools, As I prepare to begin my education at Princeton University next fall, I often look back and consider the impact...

Op Ed: Let’s Expand Restorative Justice in Virginia
Op Ed
Zack Dabrowski, Staff Reporter • June 12, 2024

Dear Barbara A. Favola, In one month, I will have graduated from high school and be ready for the next stage of my life. When I look back...

Acme Pie Company
Community & Beyond
Acme Pie Company

Acme Pie Co., located barely a block from the school, is one of the only pie shops within Arlington - and it’s also the best. Walking towards...

Book Nook: Jewish American Heritage Month

May is Jewish American Heritage Month. In celebration, we’ve gathered books that tell stories with important messages for you to think about as the month progresses. 

This month’s fiction book is The City Beautiful by Aden Polydoros. This historical fiction story follows Alter, a Jewish boy in 1893 Chicago. Alter only wants to work to make money so his family can come to the U.S. from Romania, but a mysterious string of murders have other plans for him. By the time Alter realizes the string of murders is targeting Jewish boys, it’s too late: his best friend, Yakov, has already been killed. Suddenly, Alter has nobody to turn to, except a boy he once knew that he’d rather forget. Forced to work with one another, the two attempt to uncover the mystery behind Yakov’s death while Alter tries to deny old feelings from his past.

This month’s nonfiction book is called The Wave by Todd Strasser. It is a retelling of an experiment in Palo Alto, California, in the 1960s, with names changed to protect privacy. A history teacher, Ben Ross, is doing a lesson on the Holocaust when a student asks him why everyone in Germany stood by and allowed murders to happen. To respond, Mr. Ross creates an experiment where he simulates a system of discipline in his class. The experiment soon turns into a movement that takes over the entire school and transforms it into something monstrous, challenging how students respond to peer pressure forever.\

Enjoy your reading and happy May!

About the Contributor
Clara Golner
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter
Clara is currently a junior at Arlington Tech and enjoys writing all sorts of things— short stories, longer stories, or articles for the newspaper— as well as reading, playing video games, exercising, or drawing (not very well, but nobody has to know that).