Groundbreaking
School News
Groundbreaking
Bella Weslow, Staff Reporter • June 12, 2024

On May 16th, 2024, a monumental event occurred for the students and staff of the Arlington Career Center. At 2 pm, students and teachers left...

Latinas Leading Tomorrow at ACC
Clubs & Extras
Latinas Leading Tomorrow at ACC
Lary Renderos, Guest Reporter • June 12, 2024

Let’s zoom into the bustling hive of activity that is ACC (let's throw some props to our extracurricular buffet: from frisbee to D&D, there's...

Op Ed: A Call for Accelerated Learning in APS
Op Ed
Joseph Sparks, Guest Reporter • June 12, 2024

Dear Arlington Public Schools, As I prepare to begin my education at Princeton University next fall, I often look back and consider the impact...

Op Ed: Let’s Expand Restorative Justice in Virginia
Op Ed
Zack Dabrowski, Staff Reporter • June 12, 2024

Dear Barbara A. Favola, In one month, I will have graduated from high school and be ready for the next stage of my life. When I look back...

Acme Pie Company
Community & Beyond
Acme Pie Company

Acme Pie Co., located barely a block from the school, is one of the only pie shops within Arlington - and it’s also the best. Walking towards...

Street Advocate Club

One of ACC’s newer clubs is the Street Advocates Student Coalition (SASC), started by junior Cody Finnegan. The SASC’s mission is “to bring students’ voices into the conversation over Arlington’s transportation future, advocating for a future in which streets are never hostile to students using any mode of transportation.” Cody decided to found this organization because they noticed that in the intense debates over Arlington’s future as a community, young voices were often conspicuously absent from the rooms in which many plans get shaped and policy decisions are made.

Teenagers often experience cities very differently than adults: many don’t have driver’s licenses, leaving them unable to move around freely in places with inadequate mobility options such as public transportation. Young people also have a particularly strong need for social spaces and safe gathering spots. When these perspectives are excluded from planning discussions—especially at a time when these issues are growing even more prominent in our psyche, due in part to climate change and the housing crisis—it leaves young people with a world unprepared to cater for their needs when they grow up and even worse for future generations of young people who are currently unable to advocate for themselves. Having completed their first project, a photography challenge showcasing examples of impactful streetscape design decisions throughout Arlington, members of the SASC are now turning their attention towards new ambitions: collaborating with the County to create more formal avenues for students to get involved and fix inadequate street design throughout Arlington.

We hope you will join us in this mission, and help make Arlington a better place for teenagers. To join the Discord server where we do most of our work, please fill out this form and we will reach out shortly: https://bit.ly/joinSASC

QR Code for interest form   
Type of road issue that the club would try and fix

About the Contributors
Clara Golner
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter
Clara is currently a junior at Arlington Tech and enjoys writing all sorts of things— short stories, longer stories, or articles for the newspaper— as well as reading, playing video games, exercising, or drawing (not very well, but nobody has to know that).
Bella Weslow
Bella Weslow, Staff Reporter
Bella is a junior at Arlington Tech and a JROTC cadet. She can often be seen reading or carrying around a stack of books. In her free time, Bella enjoys spending time with her dog, playing video games, and running around the soccer field. She hopes to join the military after college and work in a science related field.