PBL Freshman Cornerstone Town Hall
Uncategorized
PBL Freshman Cornerstone Town Hall
Amna Abdelbagi, Staff Reporter • May 24, 2024

It's finally that time of the year, the Cornerstone Town Hall that everyone has been waiting for! After all the ninth graders' hard work, students...

Bites on the Pike: Lost Dog Café
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Lost Dog Café
Clara Golner and Ilana HofferMay 24, 2024

Within the first moments of walking inside, the smell of tasty Italian food fills your nose. You look around at the art on the walls, listen...

Bites on the Pike: Ididos Coffee
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Idido's Coffee
Amna Abdelbagi, Staff Reporter • May 20, 2024

Only five minutes away from ACC, Idido’s Coffee should definitely be on your next “to-go” list! Idido’s Coffee is a cafe designed for...

Bites on the Pike: Ryu Izakaya
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Ryu Izakaya
Clara Golner and Ilana HofferMay 20, 2024

Ryu Izakaya is a small restaurant camouflaged among the many on Columbia Pike, but it is truly a hidden gem. When you walk inside, you are immediately...

Street Advocate Club
Clubs & Extras
Street Advocate Club
Cody Finnegan, Clara Golner, and Bella WeslowMay 20, 2024

One of ACC’s newer clubs is the Street Advocates Student Coalition (SASC), started by junior Cody Finnegan. The SASC’s mission is “to bring...

Book Nook: Women’s History Month

March is the month for St. Patrick’s day, for March Madness, but especially for Women’s History Month. We’re given thirty-one days to honor women of the past and present. One crucial part of feminism is to recognize intersectionality in all sorts of women— women of color, disabled women, queer women, so on and so forth. With that said, here are the two highlights of incredible women’s history stories.

This month’s fiction book is Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus. The bestselling book follows scientist Elizabeth Zott as she tries to study at an all-male chemistry firm. But what starts as a stolen vial ends with Elizabeth falling in love and finding herself a single mother— and takes a job as a cooking show host for more money. However, she has an unusual method to the show, which not everyone is happy about. Elizabeth isn’t just running a cooking show; she’s changing the minds of women watching her show all over the country.

This month’s nonfiction book is Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly. You’ve likely heard of the movie that was based on the book. The book features a group of female African-American mathematicians who work for NASA throughout the end of World War 2, the Cold War, the Civil Rights Movement, and the Space Race. These women contributed to incredible discoveries that were credited to white men, until their story was told in this very book.

Enjoy the books, and have a good March!

About the Contributor
Clara Golner
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter
Clara is currently a junior at Arlington Tech and enjoys writing all sorts of things— short stories, longer stories, or articles for the newspaper— as well as reading, playing video games, exercising, or drawing (not very well, but nobody has to know that).