24 with ‘24: Sophia Lander
24 with '24
24 with ‘24: Sophia Lander
Lydia Blackwell, Staff Reporter • April 23, 2024

24 with ’24 is a Chronicle series where we ask 24 questions to a member of the class of ’24. Between now and June, we’ll shine a spotlight...

Song of Daphne
Creative Writing
Song of Daphne
Heibein, Guest Reporter • April 22, 2024

What will you do, when he’s coming for you? Oh, Daphne. What will you do? He’s bright as the sun, nowhere to run. Oh, Daphne. What...

Career Profile: Jennifer Clark, Anthropologist at the Smithsonian
Career Exploration
Zack Dabrowski, Staff Reporter • April 22, 2024

It was a bright sunny day in East Africa and Jennifer Clark was about to make one of her coolest discoveries yet: the skeleton of a fossil elephant...

Koibots Get Loud at District Championships
Clubs & Extras
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter • April 22, 2024

On Thursday, April 4, at 6 am, thirty-one ACC students and two adults boarded a bus to Petersburg, Virginia, for Chesapeake District Playoffs....

Career Profile: Cathy Pinskey, Director of Mason Facilities
Career Exploration
Maggie Odar, Lead Designer, Reporter, Editor, Social Media Manager • April 22, 2024

Pursuing a career in architecture can often feel like putting all your eggs in one basket. However, Cathy Pinskey shows that architecture is...

Winter Holidays Book Nook

December’s holiday season is a favorite time of year for many, and one of the best parts about the holidays is having time to curl up by the fire with hot cocoa and a good book. Here are some good festive books to read this winter break!

First on the list is Hercule Poirot’s Christmas. Agatha Christie is an incredible murder mystery writer, so if you like books with an air of suspense and big twists wherever you look, her books are for you. This book features her most famous detective, Hercule Poirot, and his investigation of a recent murder at the Lee Christmas family reunion. As Poirot investigates, he finds that everyone may have had a motive… which means everyone is a suspect.

Next is a nonfiction book about Kwanzaa and its history. The winter holidays are often taken over by Christmas, and then by Chanukah, so it’s important to recognize Kwanzaa as a holiday as well. Kwanzaa: A Celebration of Family, Community and Culture by Maulana Karenga explores the historical side of Kwanzaa as well as the cultural side and the values of the holiday.

The last book this month features a sapphic Chanukah love story, How To Excavate a Heart by Jake Maria Arlow. Unfortunately, this year’s Chanukah already ended, but the holiday season is still in full swing, and a book that mirrors this year is perfect. How To Excavate a Heart follows Shani and her winter break after her first semester of college and a huge breakup that she hadn’t seen coming. Chanukah has already ended, but the festive mood is still in the air, and Shani finds herself falling in love with a local girl after traveling to D.C. for an internship. 

You can find the links to all the books here:

Happy Holidays, ACC!

About the Contributor
Clara Golner
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter
Clara is currently a junior at Arlington Tech and enjoys writing all sorts of things— short stories, longer stories, or articles for the newspaper— as well as reading, playing video games, exercising, or drawing (not very well, but nobody has to know that).