24 with ‘24: Sophia Lander
24 with '24
24 with ‘24: Sophia Lander
Lydia Blackwell, Staff Reporter • April 23, 2024

24 with ’24 is a Chronicle series where we ask 24 questions to a member of the class of ’24. Between now and June, we’ll shine a spotlight...

Song of Daphne
Creative Writing
Song of Daphne
Heibein, Guest Reporter • April 22, 2024

What will you do, when he’s coming for you? Oh, Daphne. What will you do? He’s bright as the sun, nowhere to run. Oh, Daphne. What...

Career Profile: Jennifer Clark, Anthropologist at the Smithsonian
Career Exploration
Zack Dabrowski, Staff Reporter • April 22, 2024

It was a bright sunny day in East Africa and Jennifer Clark was about to make one of her coolest discoveries yet: the skeleton of a fossil elephant...

Koibots Get Loud at District Championships
Clubs & Extras
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter • April 22, 2024

On Thursday, April 4, at 6 am, thirty-one ACC students and two adults boarded a bus to Petersburg, Virginia, for Chesapeake District Playoffs....

Career Profile: Cathy Pinskey, Director of Mason Facilities
Career Exploration
Maggie Odar, Lead Designer, Reporter, Editor, Social Media Manager • April 22, 2024

Pursuing a career in architecture can often feel like putting all your eggs in one basket. However, Cathy Pinskey shows that architecture is...

Book Nook: Native American Heritage Month

November is Native American Heritage Month, so the CC Book Nook is back with recommendations of what to read this month!

The first book is The Firekeeper’s Daughter by Angeline Boulley. The book follows 18-year-old Daunis Fontaine, a Native American girl about to start college. However, she never gets a chance to experience college or the fresh start that she’d been dreaming of because family tragedy strikes, and she’s forced to stay home. At least she has Jamie, a boy from her brother’s hockey team that she’s slowly catching feelings for… until he starts acting suspicious. Everything’s revealed the night Daunis witnesses a murder, and she’s thrust into an undercover investigation of a new lethal drug, thanks to her knowledge of Ojibwe medicine and chemistry. The investigation soon reveals truths that Daunis didn’t want to admit, and she must find a way to protect her community at any cost, even the cost of the only world she knows.

The second book is Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer. Named “Best Essay Collection of the Decade” by Literary Hub, the book explores Native American culture as well as the plants we see in nature every day. Monique Gray Smith also offers an abridged version of the book for young adults if the original story is too long. Kimmerer urges readers to understand and celebrate the natural world before being truly conscious of planet Earth. With the story, we gain knowledge of a culture that may go unnoticed in American society, and it’s important to understand not only the natural world but also the people living on the Earth.

About the Contributor
Clara Golner
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter
Clara is currently a junior at Arlington Tech and enjoys writing all sorts of things— short stories, longer stories, or articles for the newspaper— as well as reading, playing video games, exercising, or drawing (not very well, but nobody has to know that).