Hello, Winter Edition
Photo Gallery
Hello, Winter Edition
February 27, 2024

It's time to read some good news for a change. Sit back and relax with the latest issue of the ACC Chronicle to put a smile on your face.

Vic Hernandez, Leader of Criminal Justice Club
DEI at ACC
Criminal Justice Club
Isabella Chavez, Guest Reporter • February 27, 2024

The year 2023 became the year for new clubs to emerge, especially with the support of the DEI program. Arlington Tech Vic Hernandez is to thank...

Black History Month: African-American Read-In
School News
Mayah Millhouse, Creative Director • February 27, 2024

On Wednesday, February 21, at ACC, there was a read-in where numerous ACC students and staff celebrated the contributions and history of...

February Feels Writing Contest
Contests
February Feels Writing Contest
Bella Weslow, Staff Reporter • February 27, 2024

There's so much to celebrate throughout February. Write a story in any genre inspired by any or all of this month's special events in 50-500...

ACC Chronicle, Winter Edition 2024
Chronicle Print Editions
ACC Chronicle, Winter Edition 2024
February 27, 2024

The Chronicle prints one special edition for every quarter of the school year. In each, you'll find some of our favorite articles of the season. ...

Book Nook: Native American Heritage Month

November is Native American Heritage Month, so the CC Book Nook is back with recommendations of what to read this month!

The first book is The Firekeeper’s Daughter by Angeline Boulley. The book follows 18-year-old Daunis Fontaine, a Native American girl about to start college. However, she never gets a chance to experience college or the fresh start that she’d been dreaming of because family tragedy strikes, and she’s forced to stay home. At least she has Jamie, a boy from her brother’s hockey team that she’s slowly catching feelings for… until he starts acting suspicious. Everything’s revealed the night Daunis witnesses a murder, and she’s thrust into an undercover investigation of a new lethal drug, thanks to her knowledge of Ojibwe medicine and chemistry. The investigation soon reveals truths that Daunis didn’t want to admit, and she must find a way to protect her community at any cost, even the cost of the only world she knows.

The second book is Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer. Named “Best Essay Collection of the Decade” by Literary Hub, the book explores Native American culture as well as the plants we see in nature every day. Monique Gray Smith also offers an abridged version of the book for young adults if the original story is too long. Kimmerer urges readers to understand and celebrate the natural world before being truly conscious of planet Earth. With the story, we gain knowledge of a culture that may go unnoticed in American society, and it’s important to understand not only the natural world but also the people living on the Earth.

About the Contributor
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter
Clara is currently a junior at Arlington Tech and enjoys writing all sorts of things— short stories, longer stories, or articles for the newspaper— as well as reading, playing video games, exercising, or drawing (not very well, but nobody has to know that).