Groundbreaking
School News
Groundbreaking
Bella Weslow, Staff Reporter • June 12, 2024

On May 16th, 2024, a monumental event occurred for the students and staff of the Arlington Career Center. At 2 pm, students and teachers left...

Latinas Leading Tomorrow at ACC
Clubs & Extras
Latinas Leading Tomorrow at ACC
Lary Renderos, Guest Reporter • June 12, 2024

Let’s zoom into the bustling hive of activity that is ACC (let's throw some props to our extracurricular buffet: from frisbee to D&D, there's...

Op Ed: A Call for Accelerated Learning in APS
Op Ed
Joseph Sparks, Guest Reporter • June 12, 2024

Dear Arlington Public Schools, As I prepare to begin my education at Princeton University next fall, I often look back and consider the impact...

Op Ed: Let’s Expand Restorative Justice in Virginia
Op Ed
Zack Dabrowski, Staff Reporter • June 12, 2024

Dear Barbara A. Favola, In one month, I will have graduated from high school and be ready for the next stage of my life. When I look back...

Acme Pie Company
Community & Beyond
Acme Pie Company

Acme Pie Co., located barely a block from the school, is one of the only pie shops within Arlington - and it’s also the best. Walking towards...

Book Nook: Native American Heritage Month

November is Native American Heritage Month, so the CC Book Nook is back with recommendations of what to read this month!

The first book is The Firekeeper’s Daughter by Angeline Boulley. The book follows 18-year-old Daunis Fontaine, a Native American girl about to start college. However, she never gets a chance to experience college or the fresh start that she’d been dreaming of because family tragedy strikes, and she’s forced to stay home. At least she has Jamie, a boy from her brother’s hockey team that she’s slowly catching feelings for… until he starts acting suspicious. Everything’s revealed the night Daunis witnesses a murder, and she’s thrust into an undercover investigation of a new lethal drug, thanks to her knowledge of Ojibwe medicine and chemistry. The investigation soon reveals truths that Daunis didn’t want to admit, and she must find a way to protect her community at any cost, even the cost of the only world she knows.

The second book is Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer. Named “Best Essay Collection of the Decade” by Literary Hub, the book explores Native American culture as well as the plants we see in nature every day. Monique Gray Smith also offers an abridged version of the book for young adults if the original story is too long. Kimmerer urges readers to understand and celebrate the natural world before being truly conscious of planet Earth. With the story, we gain knowledge of a culture that may go unnoticed in American society, and it’s important to understand not only the natural world but also the people living on the Earth.

About the Contributor
Clara Golner
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter
Clara is currently a junior at Arlington Tech and enjoys writing all sorts of things— short stories, longer stories, or articles for the newspaper— as well as reading, playing video games, exercising, or drawing (not very well, but nobody has to know that).