PBL Freshman Cornerstone Town Hall
Uncategorized
PBL Freshman Cornerstone Town Hall
Amna Abdelbagi, Staff Reporter • May 24, 2024

It's finally that time of the year, the Cornerstone Town Hall that everyone has been waiting for! After all the ninth graders' hard work, students...

Bites on the Pike: Lost Dog Café
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Lost Dog Café
Clara Golner and Ilana HofferMay 24, 2024

Within the first moments of walking inside, the smell of tasty Italian food fills your nose. You look around at the art on the walls, listen...

Bites on the Pike: Ididos Coffee
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Idido's Coffee
Amna Abdelbagi, Staff Reporter • May 20, 2024

Only five minutes away from ACC, Idido’s Coffee should definitely be on your next “to-go” list! Idido’s Coffee is a cafe designed for...

Bites on the Pike: Ryu Izakaya
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Ryu Izakaya
Clara Golner and Ilana HofferMay 20, 2024

Ryu Izakaya is a small restaurant camouflaged among the many on Columbia Pike, but it is truly a hidden gem. When you walk inside, you are immediately...

Street Advocate Club
Clubs & Extras
Street Advocate Club
Cody Finnegan, Clara Golner, and Bella WeslowMay 20, 2024

One of ACC’s newer clubs is the Street Advocates Student Coalition (SASC), started by junior Cody Finnegan. The SASC’s mission is “to bring...

Muslim Student Association: The Importance of Community

At Arlington Career Center, we have students who practice a wide variety of religions and Islam happens to be one of them. In the near future, you might want to learn more about Islam and the Muslim Student Association (MSA) is a great opportunity for that. This educational club raises awareness and understanding of Islam for people who seek interest and who aren’t familiar with it.

In January 1996, the first-ever MSA was established in the U.S. on the campus of the University of Illinois. Their mission was to allow all Muslim students to have a safe space to rely on and to feel comfortable around everyone. Additionally, they wanted to build a closer relationship with the Muslim community which is very similar to the MSA here at ACC.

“MSA can bring the Muslim community together by providing a place for religious and social engagement,” explained Muram Alhasan, an Arlington Tech sophomore.

The MSA at ACC was founded by the ACC Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Office in 2019. Rugia Taha and Reem Omar with the support of Ms. Monica Lozano started to educate ACC about Ramadan and that is when the first ever prayer room was created. The prayer room soon evolved into a club which was very successful with our past sponsor, Ms. Kalsoom, and all of her previous students- Muram, Naziq, Fatima, Husna, Hassan, Mustafa, Belal, and Jy’den.  Past MSA participants want all students, including non-Muslims to learn about our club and to know it’s more of a learning environment than a religious club.

“The students’ goal was to not only create a club for Muslims, but for non-muslims as well,” Muram emphasized.

ACC holds a large community of Muslim students who need an MSA to rely on a safe space when needed. MSA members want to be persistent with this club through activism, while also providing opportunities to educate people of other faiths about Islam because it can change people’s perspective on it.

“MSA is a safe place for Muslim students and staff to express their identity, practice their religion, and break down any misconceptions about their Religion,” stated Ms. Kalsoom, a sponsor of MSA.

This year, MSA will be meeting weekly on Thursdays during Archers period in room 105B starting mid-October. Additionally, the sponsors for MSA this school year will be Ms. Doll, Dr. Sanchez, Ms. Monica Lozano Caldera, and Ms. Kalsoom. If you are interested in joining, please contact Ms. Monica – DEI Coordinator.

About the Contributor
Amna Abdelbagi
Amna Abdelbagi, Staff Reporter
Amna Abdelbagi is a freshman at Arlington Tech. This is her first Journalism class and has no background in writing newspapers, but she hopes to enjoy it. Amna has interest in becoming a Staff Reporter. In her free time, Amna enjoys baking, reading, hanging out with her friends, and painting. She is interested in becoming a pediatrician.