24 With 24: Gonna Gudino
24 with '24
24 With '24: Gonna Gudino
Lydia Blackwell, Staff Reporter • May 14, 2024

24 with ’24 is a Chronicle series where we ask 24 questions to a member of the class of ’24. Between now and June, we’ll shine a...

24 With 24: Diana Mendoza
24 with '24
24 With '24: Diana Mendoza

24 with ’24 is a Chronicle series where we ask 24 questions to a member of the class of ’24. Between now and June, we’ll shine a spotlight...

24 With 24: Elmer Mendez-Garcia
24 with '24
24 With '24: Elmer Mendez-Garcia

24 with 24: Lynette Levine
24 with '24
24 with '24: Lynette Levine
Ilana Hoffer, Staff Reporter • May 14, 2024

Hot Off the Press: The Spring Print Edition
Chronicle Print Editions
Maggie Odar, Lead Designer, Reporter, Editor, Social Media Manager • May 5, 2024

Pick up your copy today, and enjoy!

Black History Month: Model of Excellence Award

On February 22, 2024, there was an APS school board meeting. However, this meeting was special: the Model of Excellence awards were given to one African-American student from each high school. 

The room was crowded with proud principals, school board staff, and loved ones. ACC’s very own senior Ahmad Ali was honored with the award, with Principal Chung, Program Coordinator Dr. Van Lare, and DEI Coordinator Monica Lozano there to show support. On a personal note, I attended the meeting because my sister received the award as a representative of Washington-Liberty High School. I won this award in the 5th grade, but it didn’t feel nearly as important. 

The ceremony started with a choir from Drew Elementary School singing the Negro national anthem, “Lift Every Voice and Sing.” I sang along to the beautiful performance, in part because I performed this anthem last year at our school. I scanned the room to see who else knew the words–it’s safe to say African Americans in the room did not disappoint. Congratulations to the many honorees:

Arlington Career Center – Ahmad Ali

Arlington Community High School – Tigist Girma

Eunice Kennedy Shriver Program – Edelawit Gtsadik

H-B Woodlawn Secondary Program – Alex Wambura Cante

Langston High School – Aaron Autman

Washington Liberty High School – Jada Millhouse

Wakefield High School – Gabrielle Harber

Yorktown High School – Maddox Alfred

You can find the link to a recording of the meeting here. 

The ceremony was all the more special because it was before the county school board meeting. It’s inspiring to witness an event about accomplished African American students in Arlington, and I hope to see myself achieve as much in the years ahead.

About the Contributor
Mayah Millhouse
Mayah Millhouse, Creative Director
Mayah is a sophomore at Arlington Tech and a reporter for the ACC Chronicle. She is known for her innovative and creative ideas. Mayah dabbles in singing, taking photos, and drawing but her main focus is creative writing. Whether it’s songwriting or storytelling, she will find a way to showcase her artistic skills.