PBL Freshman Cornerstone Town Hall
Uncategorized
PBL Freshman Cornerstone Town Hall
Amna Abdelbagi, Staff Reporter • May 24, 2024

It's finally that time of the year, the Cornerstone Town Hall that everyone has been waiting for! After all the ninth graders' hard work, students...

Bites on the Pike: Lost Dog Café
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Lost Dog Café
Clara Golner and Ilana HofferMay 24, 2024

Within the first moments of walking inside, the smell of tasty Italian food fills your nose. You look around at the art on the walls, listen...

Bites on the Pike: Ididos Coffee
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Idido's Coffee
Amna Abdelbagi, Staff Reporter • May 20, 2024

Only five minutes away from ACC, Idido’s Coffee should definitely be on your next “to-go” list! Idido’s Coffee is a cafe designed for...

Bites on the Pike: Ryu Izakaya
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Ryu Izakaya
Clara Golner and Ilana HofferMay 20, 2024

Ryu Izakaya is a small restaurant camouflaged among the many on Columbia Pike, but it is truly a hidden gem. When you walk inside, you are immediately...

Street Advocate Club
Clubs & Extras
Street Advocate Club
Cody Finnegan, Clara Golner, and Bella WeslowMay 20, 2024

One of ACC’s newer clubs is the Street Advocates Student Coalition (SASC), started by junior Cody Finnegan. The SASC’s mission is “to bring...

GSA Pride Club

Amidst a cultural climate that can often be hostile to queer youth, ACC emerges with a new and improved GSA Pride club with the mission of offering support and encouraging conversations on how the school district and others can express acceptance and understanding. The club hosts weekly meetings during Archer’s Period on Wednesdays in Ms. Monica’s room where students participate in 

The club leader and Animal Science teacher, Hanna Brostowitz, created the club to serve as a safe space for students to celebrate their identity and build a sense of community with other LGBTQ+ and allied students. 

“People’s identities are a huge part of who they are and exploring and finding out your identity is crucial during high school. And to have a space that feels safe or where exploring and figuring out who you are is okay is super crucial to not just our sense of who we are, but also our mental health. It’s just the same way as any other facet of identity,” explained Hanna Brostowitz.

Activities included follow: creating LGBTQ+ inclusive valentines for the club fundraising event, making professional development for the staff about pronouns, preparing resources like books and discussion questions for Archers teachers to celebrate National Day of Reading, making friendship bracelets and pronoun pins to create more welcoming and inclusive school environment, starting a book club and library with LGBTQ friendly texts.

Library posters consisting of the GSA Pride flier and promotion for a novel titled ‘Gender Queer’. Photo by Isa Chavez.

The club is currently planning activities outside of school, a field trip undetermined for the meantime as to location, afterschool professional development for teachers, and fundraising with the other clubs during lunchtimes.

Regardless of your sexual orientation or gender identity, the GSA Pride Club keeps its doors open to everyone attending ACC. There are about 20 students who have come to at least one club meeting so far this year at Ms. Monica’s room in 105B. Any questions about the club can be directed to Hanna Brostowitz through their email [email protected]