24 with ‘24: Sophia Lander
24 with '24
24 with ‘24: Sophia Lander
Lydia Blackwell, Staff Reporter • April 23, 2024

24 with ’24 is a Chronicle series where we ask 24 questions to a member of the class of ’24. Between now and June, we’ll shine a spotlight...

Song of Daphne
Creative Writing
Song of Daphne
Heibein, Guest Reporter • April 22, 2024

What will you do, when he’s coming for you? Oh, Daphne. What will you do? He’s bright as the sun, nowhere to run. Oh, Daphne. What...

Career Profile: Jennifer Clark, Anthropologist at the Smithsonian
Career Exploration
Zack Dabrowski, Staff Reporter • April 22, 2024

It was a bright sunny day in East Africa and Jennifer Clark was about to make one of her coolest discoveries yet: the skeleton of a fossil elephant...

Koibots Get Loud at District Championships
Clubs & Extras
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter • April 22, 2024

On Thursday, April 4, at 6 am, thirty-one ACC students and two adults boarded a bus to Petersburg, Virginia, for Chesapeake District Playoffs....

Career Profile: Cathy Pinskey, Director of Mason Facilities
Career Exploration
Maggie Odar, Lead Designer, Reporter, Editor, Social Media Manager • April 22, 2024

Pursuing a career in architecture can often feel like putting all your eggs in one basket. However, Cathy Pinskey shows that architecture is...

What to read for Black History Month

February marks the start of Black history month, an important time to celebrate Black culture. It’s also a good time to read books written by Black authors and about Black culture!

This month’s fiction book is called Passing by Nella Larsen. The book tells the story of two childhood friends, Clare and Irene. When Clare’s father dies, she’s sent to live with her aunts, who are white. Since Clare is mixed, she “passed” for a white woman and marries a white man. Years later she and Irene, who’s now married to a Black doctor, reuinite. The two take the time to learn more about each other’s lives since they separated and are fascinated by the lives the other led.

This month’s nonfiction book is a memoir called Song in a Weary Throat by Pauli Murray. Murray was an activist for racial, womens’, and gender rights. The memoir tells the story of how they first had to leave their home after their parents died at four years old, then going to college, then becoming an activist. Their work eventually led them to meeting famous figures such as Thurgood Marshall and Elenor Roosevelt.  Murray’s truly inspiring life can barely be summarized in a single paragraph, so the book is well worth reading.

About the Contributor
Clara Golner
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter
Clara is currently a junior at Arlington Tech and enjoys writing all sorts of things— short stories, longer stories, or articles for the newspaper— as well as reading, playing video games, exercising, or drawing (not very well, but nobody has to know that).