24 with ‘24: Sophia Lander
24 with '24
24 with ‘24: Sophia Lander
Lydia Blackwell, Staff Reporter • April 23, 2024

24 with ’24 is a Chronicle series where we ask 24 questions to a member of the class of ’24. Between now and June, we’ll shine a spotlight...

Song of Daphne
Creative Writing
Song of Daphne
Heibein, Guest Reporter • April 22, 2024

What will you do, when he’s coming for you? Oh, Daphne. What will you do? He’s bright as the sun, nowhere to run. Oh, Daphne. What...

Career Profile: Jennifer Clark, Anthropologist at the Smithsonian
Career Exploration
Zack Dabrowski, Staff Reporter • April 22, 2024

It was a bright sunny day in East Africa and Jennifer Clark was about to make one of her coolest discoveries yet: the skeleton of a fossil elephant...

Koibots Get Loud at District Championships
Clubs & Extras
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter • April 22, 2024

On Thursday, April 4, at 6 am, thirty-one ACC students and two adults boarded a bus to Petersburg, Virginia, for Chesapeake District Playoffs....

Career Profile: Cathy Pinskey, Director of Mason Facilities
Career Exploration
Maggie Odar, Lead Designer, Reporter, Editor, Social Media Manager • April 22, 2024

Pursuing a career in architecture can often feel like putting all your eggs in one basket. However, Cathy Pinskey shows that architecture is...

CTE Spotlight: TV Production

• Emory Loughry holding a camera, photo by Caroline Schwebach.

• Photo by Caroline Schwebach

• Photo by Caroline Schwebach

One of the many CTE classes at ACC is DE TV Production, taught by Mr. O’Day. This class focuses on fast-paced group projects within the realm of producing TV media. In addition, the class is very student-focused with very few worksheets. It is a lot of fun and involves a ton of moving around, according to Caroline Schwebach, a junior in TV II. 

Students can take DE TV Production beginning in sophomore year and take it through senior year if they so please. The class teaches students many skills relating to TV production including how to operate high-tech cameras, how to do sound editing, how to use Adobe Premiere, using AfterEffects, and any skill relating to creating a high-quality video from start to finish. Not only do students in the class gain technical skills, but they learn how to work in teams, turn their visions into a reality, and have a set of skills that are very sought after in any job, especially as more companies want more media attention.

One of the biggest draws and events within the TV Production class is SkillsUSA, where students go down to Virginia Beach and compete in a multi-day competition with other schools from all over Virginia. The events at SkillsUSA vary from TV production to bricklaying, so it’s more than just TV and leads to some awesome experiences. In the past few years, ACC’s students have won the competitions for Virginia and have gone to Atlanta, Georgia to compete on the national stage, where they won 2 years ago. According to Caroline, “It is so much fun to see everything going on and to walk around Virginia Beach when not at the competitions, especially since we are very much on our own while down there.” 

Besides working on SkillsUSA projects, students have also made a video for NASA, which is now on their website, that debunks a false scientific idea, working hand in hand with NASA. The class also made videos during the Special Olympics. The students were so good that they got to go to the Special Olympics in Iowa. A few students have also made commercials for KODAK and REI. 

Overall, the class focuses on expanding knowledge. According to many kids taking the class, it is a lot of fun and very hands-on with a lot of beneficial skills for life in general. If you are a sophomore or older who is interested in some sort of film-related job, DE TV Production is a good option, since it teaches a lot in a fun way. 

About the Contributor
Ilana Hoffer
Ilana Hoffer, Staff Reporter
Ilana is a junior at Arlington Tech, interested in expanding her writing by working on articles for the Chronicle. In her free time, Ilana enjoys being outside, playing soccer, spending time with her dog and hanging out with friends. She is interested in becoming a mechanical engineer.