24 with ‘24: Sophia Lander
24 with '24
24 with ‘24: Sophia Lander
Lydia Blackwell, Staff Reporter • April 23, 2024

24 with ’24 is a Chronicle series where we ask 24 questions to a member of the class of ’24. Between now and June, we’ll shine a spotlight...

Song of Daphne
Creative Writing
Song of Daphne
Heibein, Guest Reporter • April 22, 2024

What will you do, when he’s coming for you? Oh, Daphne. What will you do? He’s bright as the sun, nowhere to run. Oh, Daphne. What...

Career Profile: Jennifer Clark, Anthropologist at the Smithsonian
Career Exploration
Zack Dabrowski, Staff Reporter • April 22, 2024

It was a bright sunny day in East Africa and Jennifer Clark was about to make one of her coolest discoveries yet: the skeleton of a fossil elephant...

Koibots Get Loud at District Championships
Clubs & Extras
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter • April 22, 2024

On Thursday, April 4, at 6 am, thirty-one ACC students and two adults boarded a bus to Petersburg, Virginia, for Chesapeake District Playoffs....

Career Profile: Cathy Pinskey, Director of Mason Facilities
Career Exploration
Maggie Odar, Lead Designer, Reporter, Editor, Social Media Manager • April 22, 2024

Pursuing a career in architecture can often feel like putting all your eggs in one basket. However, Cathy Pinskey shows that architecture is...

January Book Nook

Here are some cool books to read in the chilly month of January. I recently finished What If by Randall Munroe and The Sun and the Star by Rick Riordan and Mark Oshiro. What If is a nonfiction book while The Sun and the Star is a fantasy book. Even if you aren’t a fan of nonfiction books, I recommend trying What If because it reads like a funny conversation.

What If by Randall Munroe is a book that has “Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions.” If you ever wondered what would happen if a baseball was pitched at the speed of light (a big explosion) or if the earth stopped spinning (a lot of people would die) then you should read this book. The book includes sections with questions that users have uploaded on the author’s website, which is unfortunately blocked by APS. The book features many bizarre and unexpected questions as well as silly doodles that will make you chuckle. If you’re ever bored or just want to laugh, then this is the perfect book to read.

The Sun and the Star by Rick Riordan and Mark Oshiro is a book that you likely have heard of even if you haven’t read it. This is a sequel to the Percy Jackson books, a very popular series among middle schoolers and Greek or Roman mythology fans. The Sun and the Star is a story about Nico DiAngelo, son of Hades, and his boyfriend Will Solace, son of Apollo,  on a quest to rescue the reformed Titan named Bob from Tartarus, the deepest part of the Underworld. The two demigods must face demons, both internally and externally, as they adventure through Hell. If you are a fan of Percy Jackson, want to go on an adventure, or just really like queer fantasy books, then this is a good choice for you.

About the Contributor
Bella Weslow
Bella Weslow, Staff Reporter
Bella is a junior at Arlington Tech and a JROTC cadet. She can often be seen reading or carrying around a stack of books. In her free time, Bella enjoys spending time with her dog, playing video games, and running around the soccer field. She hopes to join the military after college and work in a science related field.