24 with ‘24: Sophia Lander
24 with '24
24 with ‘24: Sophia Lander
Lydia Blackwell, Staff Reporter • April 23, 2024

24 with ’24 is a Chronicle series where we ask 24 questions to a member of the class of ’24. Between now and June, we’ll shine a spotlight...

Song of Daphne
Creative Writing
Song of Daphne
Heibein, Guest Reporter • April 22, 2024

What will you do, when he’s coming for you? Oh, Daphne. What will you do? He’s bright as the sun, nowhere to run. Oh, Daphne. What...

Career Profile: Jennifer Clark, Anthropologist at the Smithsonian
Career Exploration
Zack Dabrowski, Staff Reporter • April 22, 2024

It was a bright sunny day in East Africa and Jennifer Clark was about to make one of her coolest discoveries yet: the skeleton of a fossil elephant...

Koibots Get Loud at District Championships
Clubs & Extras
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter • April 22, 2024

On Thursday, April 4, at 6 am, thirty-one ACC students and two adults boarded a bus to Petersburg, Virginia, for Chesapeake District Playoffs....

Career Profile: Cathy Pinskey, Director of Mason Facilities
Career Exploration
Maggie Odar, Lead Designer, Reporter, Editor, Social Media Manager • April 22, 2024

Pursuing a career in architecture can often feel like putting all your eggs in one basket. However, Cathy Pinskey shows that architecture is...

Joseph Sparks’ Story with Questbridge

Photo by Ananya Sinha

In our generation, college tuition has gotten exponentially more expensive. However, ACC has done a good job of graduating seniors with scholarships to ease the financial burden that many families face. 

We’re excited to report that senior Joseph Sparks was admitted to Princeton University on a full-ride scholarship! He applied through Questbridge, a scholarship program that connects some of the smartest students in the country with top universities. 

When asked why he decided to apply he said that “if [he] matched [he’d] earn a full-ride to a top university.” He also notes that his sister applied last year, earning a full ride to Columbia University, and that inspired him to take the same route. While the opportunities with Questbridge are great, Joseph describes the process as time-consuming. 

“You apply to be a Questbridge national match finalist in early fall,” he says. He continues to explain how, as part of the application process, you’re required to write supplemental pieces that are specific to each college. Once someone is selected as a national match finalist “…you wait until December 1 and hear back!” 

Questbridge aims to match students with their top choices, which they rank ahead of time during their application. Princeton was Joseph’s second choice and he was extremely excited about his acceptance.

Joseph received the exciting news about his admission just after school on December 1. He says the most exciting aspect of earning this scholarship is having no debt. He continues by saying that he “definitely want[s] to pursue a graduate program, so having financial flexibility is super useful.” 

Congratulations to Joseph on behalf of the ACC Chronicle Staff!

About the Contributor
Maggie Odar
Maggie Odar, Lead Designer, Reporter, Editor, Social Media Manager
Maggie Odar is a Junior at Arlington Tech working on website development and design for the Career Center Chronicle. She is a dedicated student with a passion for architecture and engineering-like subjects. In her free time she enjoys spending time with her two cats and listening to music.