Groundbreaking
School News
Groundbreaking
Bella Weslow, Staff Reporter • June 12, 2024

On May 16th, 2024, a monumental event occurred for the students and staff of the Arlington Career Center. At 2 pm, students and teachers left...

Latinas Leading Tomorrow at ACC
Clubs & Extras
Latinas Leading Tomorrow at ACC
Lary Renderos, Guest Reporter • June 12, 2024

Let’s zoom into the bustling hive of activity that is ACC (let's throw some props to our extracurricular buffet: from frisbee to D&D, there's...

Op Ed: A Call for Accelerated Learning in APS
Op Ed
Joseph Sparks, Guest Reporter • June 12, 2024

Dear Arlington Public Schools, As I prepare to begin my education at Princeton University next fall, I often look back and consider the impact...

Op Ed: Let’s Expand Restorative Justice in Virginia
Op Ed
Zack Dabrowski, Staff Reporter • June 12, 2024

Dear Barbara A. Favola, In one month, I will have graduated from high school and be ready for the next stage of my life. When I look back...

Acme Pie Company
Community & Beyond
Acme Pie Company

Acme Pie Co., located barely a block from the school, is one of the only pie shops within Arlington - and it’s also the best. Walking towards...

How many words can you write in a month?

This coming November 1, people all around the world will be opening a fresh Google Doc, sitting with a cup of coffee or their favorite pillows and blankets, and start writing. And writing. And writing.

National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo for short, is an international event occurring every November, when participants of the challenge attempt to write 50,000 words of a novel in only thirty days. For comparison, Ray Bradbury’s “Fahrenheit 451” is 46,118 words. The goal of 50,000 words requires participants to write at least 1,667 words daily to meet their goal. Some participants may choose to set a lower goal if they’re new to the challenge. 

The challenge forces readers to “lock away their inner editor,” as the website says, and simply put down words on the page to reach their goal. Due to this, the challenge faces controversy; it prioritizes quantity over quality, when most writers prefer to write with quality over quantity (and your English teachers do, too). However, most participants choose to do this challenge not to improve their writing skills, but simply to try a challenge and have fun. It gives participants a chance to simply create instead of worrying about whether their story is good or not— because chances are, when you take quantity over quality, it will be bad. 

Be sure to visit nanowrimo.org for more information. If you choose to take the challenge, create an account on either that website if you’d like a goal of 50,000, or the young writers program (ywp.nanowrimo.org) if you’d like a different goal. The website will help you stay motivated and track your progress. Lastly, remember that even if you don’t do NaNoWriMo, you can always challenge yourself creatively to do better and better.

About the Contributor
Clara Golner
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter
Clara is currently a junior at Arlington Tech and enjoys writing all sorts of things— short stories, longer stories, or articles for the newspaper— as well as reading, playing video games, exercising, or drawing (not very well, but nobody has to know that).