PBL Freshman Cornerstone Town Hall
Uncategorized
PBL Freshman Cornerstone Town Hall
Amna Abdelbagi, Staff Reporter • May 24, 2024

It's finally that time of the year, the Cornerstone Town Hall that everyone has been waiting for! After all the ninth graders' hard work, students...

Bites on the Pike: Lost Dog Café
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Lost Dog Café
Clara Golner and Ilana HofferMay 24, 2024

Within the first moments of walking inside, the smell of tasty Italian food fills your nose. You look around at the art on the walls, listen...

Bites on the Pike: Ididos Coffee
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Idido's Coffee
Amna Abdelbagi, Staff Reporter • May 20, 2024

Only five minutes away from ACC, Idido’s Coffee should definitely be on your next “to-go” list! Idido’s Coffee is a cafe designed for...

Bites on the Pike: Ryu Izakaya
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Ryu Izakaya
Clara Golner and Ilana HofferMay 20, 2024

Ryu Izakaya is a small restaurant camouflaged among the many on Columbia Pike, but it is truly a hidden gem. When you walk inside, you are immediately...

Street Advocate Club
Clubs & Extras
Street Advocate Club
Cody Finnegan, Clara Golner, and Bella WeslowMay 20, 2024

One of ACC’s newer clubs is the Street Advocates Student Coalition (SASC), started by junior Cody Finnegan. The SASC’s mission is “to bring...

How many words can you write in a month?

This coming November 1, people all around the world will be opening a fresh Google Doc, sitting with a cup of coffee or their favorite pillows and blankets, and start writing. And writing. And writing.

National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo for short, is an international event occurring every November, when participants of the challenge attempt to write 50,000 words of a novel in only thirty days. For comparison, Ray Bradbury’s “Fahrenheit 451” is 46,118 words. The goal of 50,000 words requires participants to write at least 1,667 words daily to meet their goal. Some participants may choose to set a lower goal if they’re new to the challenge. 

The challenge forces readers to “lock away their inner editor,” as the website says, and simply put down words on the page to reach their goal. Due to this, the challenge faces controversy; it prioritizes quantity over quality, when most writers prefer to write with quality over quantity (and your English teachers do, too). However, most participants choose to do this challenge not to improve their writing skills, but simply to try a challenge and have fun. It gives participants a chance to simply create instead of worrying about whether their story is good or not— because chances are, when you take quantity over quality, it will be bad. 

Be sure to visit nanowrimo.org for more information. If you choose to take the challenge, create an account on either that website if you’d like a goal of 50,000, or the young writers program (ywp.nanowrimo.org) if you’d like a different goal. The website will help you stay motivated and track your progress. Lastly, remember that even if you don’t do NaNoWriMo, you can always challenge yourself creatively to do better and better.

About the Contributor
Clara Golner
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter
Clara is currently a junior at Arlington Tech and enjoys writing all sorts of things— short stories, longer stories, or articles for the newspaper— as well as reading, playing video games, exercising, or drawing (not very well, but nobody has to know that).