PBL Freshman Cornerstone Town Hall
Uncategorized
PBL Freshman Cornerstone Town Hall
Amna Abdelbagi, Staff Reporter • May 24, 2024

It's finally that time of the year, the Cornerstone Town Hall that everyone has been waiting for! After all the ninth graders' hard work, students...

Bites on the Pike: Lost Dog Café
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Lost Dog Café
Clara Golner and Ilana HofferMay 24, 2024

Within the first moments of walking inside, the smell of tasty Italian food fills your nose. You look around at the art on the walls, listen...

Bites on the Pike: Ididos Coffee
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Idido's Coffee
Amna Abdelbagi, Staff Reporter • May 20, 2024

Only five minutes away from ACC, Idido’s Coffee should definitely be on your next “to-go” list! Idido’s Coffee is a cafe designed for...

Bites on the Pike: Ryu Izakaya
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Ryu Izakaya
Clara Golner and Ilana HofferMay 20, 2024

Ryu Izakaya is a small restaurant camouflaged among the many on Columbia Pike, but it is truly a hidden gem. When you walk inside, you are immediately...

Street Advocate Club
Clubs & Extras
Street Advocate Club
Cody Finnegan, Clara Golner, and Bella WeslowMay 20, 2024

One of ACC’s newer clubs is the Street Advocates Student Coalition (SASC), started by junior Cody Finnegan. The SASC’s mission is “to bring...

Sisters, Circle Up

Ever since Sister Circle was founded during COVID-19, it has only been increasing in membership since. At the start of the very first meeting, there were only a couple of people. Now that several years have passed, it has grown exponentially. Established to be a safe place for female African Americans, many find this club enjoyable with all the activities they provide. From going on field trips to the African American Museum to sitting down and learning about African culture, many people find this club educational. 

The purpose of this club is to help young African American girls find a place to commune together for the betterment of each other,” explained Ms. D, the sponsor of Sister Circle.

As many of you know, ACC is known for its outstanding education, but also for its diversity among the students. Many people want a safe space to rely on, and having a club for women African American students represents that. Weekly meetings allow these young girls to express how they’re feeling, what they’re up to, and ideas for the club. 

In Sister Circle, they participate in several activities such as going on trips to Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), setting up fundraisers to help the community, and assigning mentors to each student to support every young girl throughout the school year. Additionally, the club raises awareness in February when African American History Month is celebrated. At the beginning of the year, Sister Circle and the Boys Cohort planned a field trip together to the DC African American Museum. 

“Sister Circle brings the African American community together because we always have community events and field trips with the boys cohort,” stated Komari Austin, the President of Sister Circle.

You might ask, “Why is there a Sister Circle if they are also making a Black Student Union?” Well, BSU was founded by two juniors, Zion Davis and Hassan Mohammed, and it is different from Sister Circle because it is a club open to any African-American students, but Sister Circle is a club for just African-American women. Although it may seem similar, the two clubs themselves are different because Sister Circle focuses on bringing the African-American women population together which is predominantly smaller than the African-American population in general.

If anyone is interested in joining, Sister Circle began in September and is welcoming any African-American female students. Sister Circle meets weekly on Thursdays during Archers. Contact the DEI Coordinator, Ms. Monica, or Ms. D, the club sponsor, with any questions.

About the Contributor
Amna Abdelbagi
Amna Abdelbagi, Staff Reporter
Amna Abdelbagi is a freshman at Arlington Tech. This is her first Journalism class and has no background in writing newspapers, but she hopes to enjoy it. Amna has interest in becoming a Staff Reporter. In her free time, Amna enjoys baking, reading, hanging out with her friends, and painting. She is interested in becoming a pediatrician.