24 with ‘24: Laila Hailey
24 with '24
24 with ‘24: Laila Hailey
Zack Dabrowski, Staff Reporter • April 30, 2024

24 with ’24 is a Chronicle series where we ask 24 questions to a member of the class of ’24. Between now and June, we’ll shine a spotlight...

Mystery Revealed: Techs Valedictorian
School News
Mystery Revealed: Tech's Valedictorian
Lydia Blackwell, Staff Reporter • April 26, 2024

With fewer than 50 days to graduation, everyone’s wondering who Arlington Tech’s valedictorian is, the person with the highest grade point...

The Artificial God
Creative Writing
The Artificial God
Hetty Fontaine, Guest Reporter • April 26, 2024

You have created a god Summoned by a ritual of your own design With bones of ancients And oils cracked It rises It shall remain...

24 with ‘24: Tadashi Dodge
24 with '24
24 with ‘24: Tadashi Dodge
Lydia Blackwell, Staff Reporter • April 24, 2024

The Equity Team
DEI at ACC
The Equity Team
Isabella Chavez, Guest Reporter • April 24, 2024

At Arlington Career Center, teachers and students are able to work with one another to create numerous clubs and programs in order to diversify...

Sisters, Circle Up

Ever since Sister Circle was founded during COVID-19, it has only been increasing in membership since. At the start of the very first meeting, there were only a couple of people. Now that several years have passed, it has grown exponentially. Established to be a safe place for female African Americans, many find this club enjoyable with all the activities they provide. From going on field trips to the African American Museum to sitting down and learning about African culture, many people find this club educational. 

The purpose of this club is to help young African American girls find a place to commune together for the betterment of each other,” explained Ms. D, the sponsor of Sister Circle.

As many of you know, ACC is known for its outstanding education, but also for its diversity among the students. Many people want a safe space to rely on, and having a club for women African American students represents that. Weekly meetings allow these young girls to express how they’re feeling, what they’re up to, and ideas for the club. 

In Sister Circle, they participate in several activities such as going on trips to Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), setting up fundraisers to help the community, and assigning mentors to each student to support every young girl throughout the school year. Additionally, the club raises awareness in February when African American History Month is celebrated. At the beginning of the year, Sister Circle and the Boys Cohort planned a field trip together to the DC African American Museum. 

“Sister Circle brings the African American community together because we always have community events and field trips with the boys cohort,” stated Komari Austin, the President of Sister Circle.

You might ask, “Why is there a Sister Circle if they are also making a Black Student Union?” Well, BSU was founded by two juniors, Zion Davis and Hassan Mohammed, and it is different from Sister Circle because it is a club open to any African-American students, but Sister Circle is a club for just African-American women. Although it may seem similar, the two clubs themselves are different because Sister Circle focuses on bringing the African-American women population together which is predominantly smaller than the African-American population in general.

If anyone is interested in joining, Sister Circle began in September and is welcoming any African-American female students. Sister Circle meets weekly on Thursdays during Archers. Contact the DEI Coordinator, Ms. Monica, or Ms. D, the club sponsor, with any questions.

About the Contributor
Amna Abdelbagi
Amna Abdelbagi, Staff Reporter
Amna Abdelbagi is a freshman at Arlington Tech. This is her first Journalism class and has no background in writing newspapers, but she hopes to enjoy it. Amna has interest in becoming a Staff Reporter. In her free time, Amna enjoys baking, reading, hanging out with her friends, and painting. She is interested in becoming a pediatrician.