PBL Freshman Cornerstone Town Hall
Uncategorized
PBL Freshman Cornerstone Town Hall
Amna Abdelbagi, Staff Reporter • May 24, 2024

It's finally that time of the year, the Cornerstone Town Hall that everyone has been waiting for! After all the ninth graders' hard work, students...

Bites on the Pike: Lost Dog Café
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Lost Dog Café
Clara Golner and Ilana HofferMay 24, 2024

Within the first moments of walking inside, the smell of tasty Italian food fills your nose. You look around at the art on the walls, listen...

Bites on the Pike: Ididos Coffee
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Idido's Coffee
Amna Abdelbagi, Staff Reporter • May 20, 2024

Only five minutes away from ACC, Idido’s Coffee should definitely be on your next “to-go” list! Idido’s Coffee is a cafe designed for...

Bites on the Pike: Ryu Izakaya
Community & Beyond
Bites on the Pike: Ryu Izakaya
Clara Golner and Ilana HofferMay 20, 2024

Ryu Izakaya is a small restaurant camouflaged among the many on Columbia Pike, but it is truly a hidden gem. When you walk inside, you are immediately...

Street Advocate Club
Clubs & Extras
Street Advocate Club
Cody Finnegan, Clara Golner, and Bella WeslowMay 20, 2024

One of ACC’s newer clubs is the Street Advocates Student Coalition (SASC), started by junior Cody Finnegan. The SASC’s mission is “to bring...

Sign Up for ASL Club

Logo designed by Violet Moore, ASL Club Alum

Is it time for you to discover a language that allows you to communicate with 15% of the adult US population? American Sign Language, ASL, is a non-verbal gesture and an area-oriented language primarily used by people who are hard of hearing, deaf, and in mute communities. Even if you don’t take the ASL classes offered here at ACC, you should consider joining the ASL Club.

There are many good reasons to join the club. One reason is that ASL is easy and fun to learn. Also, you will learn a new language for free, and hang out with friends and peers. ASL Club is the place to be. You don’t have to know any ASL. All you need to do is show up, and they’ll teach you!

The ACC ASL Club was founded a few years ago and is now being led by Cobi Kromash, a junior who takes the ASL Dual Enrollment class. The top two reasons for learning ASL that the club advertises are that it’s: 1. fun to have an “almost” secret code; and 2. learning a new language. Maddie Burrows, the ASL club secretary, said something really cool about ASL in movie situations: “All those scenes where the person doesn’t let the victim talk could be easily solved with ASL.”

The club has a challenge for anyone interested in joining it. The challenge is to start with the alphabet: 26 simple signs. Later, you can work on other signs which you can learn in the ASL club.

If you’re still not 100% sold on joining the club, here’s an extra incentive: The club is planning a possible field trip sometime at the end of the year.

Sign up for the club on this Google Form and contact [email protected] with any questions. The club meetings are twice a week during Archers on Tuesdays and Thursdays with Mr. Khutoryan or Ms. Bilodeau. Come when you can!

Edits made with the help of ASL President and staff reporter, Cobi Kromash on 11/3.

About the Contributor
Eimi Tuttle
Eimi Tuttle, Staff Reporter, Lead Editor
Eimi, pronounced Amy, is a sophomore at Arlington Tech. She enjoys reading and writing, and in her free time she plays Dungeons & Dragons with her friends. In the future, she hopes to become an editor for kids books.