Hello, Winter Edition
Photo Gallery
Hello, Winter Edition
February 27, 2024

It's time to read some good news for a change. Sit back and relax with the latest issue of the ACC Chronicle to put a smile on your face.

Vic Hernandez, Leader of Criminal Justice Club
DEI at ACC
Criminal Justice Club
Isabella Chavez, Guest Reporter • February 27, 2024

The year 2023 became the year for new clubs to emerge, especially with the support of the DEI program. Arlington Tech Vic Hernandez is to thank...

Black History Month: African-American Read-In
School News
Mayah Millhouse, Creative Director • February 27, 2024

On Wednesday, February 21, at ACC, there was a read-in where numerous ACC students and staff celebrated the contributions and history of...

February Feels Writing Contest
Contests
February Feels Writing Contest
Bella Weslow, Staff Reporter • February 27, 2024

There's so much to celebrate throughout February. Write a story in any genre inspired by any or all of this month's special events in 50-500...

ACC Chronicle, Winter Edition 2024
Chronicle Print Editions
ACC Chronicle, Winter Edition 2024
February 27, 2024

The Chronicle prints one special edition for every quarter of the school year. In each, you'll find some of our favorite articles of the season. ...

ACC’s AC Problem

Heat map from the New York illustrates world-wide trends in rising temperatures.

Thanks to global warming, this summer was noted as one of the hottest summers yet. Starting with Canada’s wildfires and blending into July’s heat waves, several people are concerned with the state of our Earth’s climate. 

Despite the summer ending, temperatures rose from August 27 through September 3 over not only the east coast of the U.S., but also in the U.K., China, and northern areas of Africa. Though temperatures the following week decreased slightly in our area, the New York Times explains how the rest of the world is coping with the heatwave in the image above. 

In D.C., the heatwave was at its worst the first week of September, which was the same week that a number of air conditioners at Arlington Career Center (ACC) broke. Although some were in the main building, most were in the trailers. If conditions were too warm for learning, teachers had to move their classrooms to rooms with working air conditioning, some moving up to around six different classrooms. 

The school’s air conditioners don’t break often – in fact, the ACCCareer Center does not have to call in support more than once every school year to fix them. But when they do break, the front office contacts APS facilities management department. They have employees who work with HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) units, like our broken ACs. Meanwhile, the front office must maneuver the school’s master schedule to figure out the best place to relocate classrooms. 

If you were in a classroom with a broken AC, which several of you were, be sure to thank the front office whenever you see an office worker for their hard work, and keep global warming in mind as temperatures are expected to rise this fall.

Sources:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/06/summer-of-2023-hottest-recorded-in-wake-up-call-to-cut-carbon-emissions

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/world/global-heat-map-tracker.html

https://weather.com/forecast/national/news/2023-09-14-october-november-december-temperature-outlook

Thank you Mr. Mainor and Mr. Stephens for their interviews!

About the Contributor
Clara Golner, Staff Reporter
Clara is currently a junior at Arlington Tech and enjoys writing all sorts of things— short stories, longer stories, or articles for the newspaper— as well as reading, playing video games, exercising, or drawing (not very well, but nobody has to know that).